Thursday, October 26, 2017

Why I Left YouTube + Why I Decided To Come Back

Hey everyone!

If you've kept up with my posts for a while, you know I have a YouTube channel called Beauty with Michelle. I started this channel in high school. I had braces when I filmed my first video for the channel. That video is now privated for reasons you can probably guess. That video was filmed in 2010. Since then YouTube has drastically changed. I still love YouTube, don't get me wrong. However, in 2010 YouTube was only four years old. It was a little toddler. Now, YouTube is eleven years old and a tween. How videos are formatted now is a lot different than how they were in 2010. Things that were popular then aren't as popular now.

When I was a teenager (makes me feel so old to write that) I regularly filmed, edited and uploaded videos. It was a great hobby for me. I loved making the videos. I loved learning from other YouTubers about makeup, fashion and hair. And I loved being able to record and publish my thoughts on those topics to share with people. I would get home from school and be so excited to create new content. As I got older, I evolved as YouTube evolved too. 

In high school, it was very easy for me to dedicate myself to making videos as a fun, little hobby. I had my own space to film in that I didn't have to share with anyone. I had a lot less homework. And I had more time and energy to commit to it. 

When I got to college, I realized how difficult it was to keep uploading regularly. I had a ton of homework. I was adjusting to life on my own for the first time. And I didn't have my own space to film in. At them start of my freshmen year, I really tried to keep uploading. I found it difficult given my situation. When I went home on break from college, I continued to film and post videos. Eventually, I stopped making videos all together. 

I decided to stop making videos because even though it was something I loved doing, I was in a different phase of my life. The high school me had all the time in the world to sit for hours on my computer editing videos. The college me didn't have that luxury.

In college, I focused on my school work. I did homework almost every single night. Not just a little assignment here and there. I wrote extremely long essays, created presentations and worked on huge projects. A lot of those projects were videos for class assignments. Those were my favorite to work on. I didn't give up my love for video making. I just re-directed it.

After four years at college, attending classes, doing countless hours of homework and living on campus with roommates the entire time, I graduated this spring. When I got back to having my own space and having ample amount of time to do whatever I wanted to do, I decided to return to YouTube.

I had given all my energy into college and that phase of my life is over. I am now in my post graduate phase of life, where I don't have school or homework. Of course now is the point where I can really decide what I want do. There are an endless amount of opportunities. One of those opportunities is making YouTube videos on my good ol' channel: BeautywithMichelle.

I am back to making YouTube videos and I'm happy to do so. I'm trying to get back to uploading regularly. I'm in the process of filming and editing videos again. I'm glad to return to creating my own content. I love being able to look back on my teen years through those videos. I want to be able to look back on my twenties too. More than that, I want to continue entertaining and helping or inspiring people through my channel. 

Thank you so much for reading this. My journey with YouTube and blogging is far from over! Thanks for sticking with me throughout this adventure. 

Subscribe to it to be notified of when I post videos!

❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment