Thursday, January 25, 2018

The Demonetization of Small YouTubers

Hey everyone! This blog post is going to deal with a more sensitive topic. There are many parties involved in this subject including YouTube and every small YouTuber that's getting demonetized. Even though this is a heavier subject, I wanted to give my two cents on it. 

I have been making YouTube videos for almost ten years. Since I was a teenager, I wanted to be in the YouTube partner program. I finally was accepted into it a few years ago after a lot of attempts. Back then the program became more lenient with their rules. YouTube started letting people, whose videos didn't gain a lot of views, be YouTube partners. For those that don't know, being in the YouTube partner program means that your videos generate money. However, if you ever see that money in your wallet is where there's a gray area.

For me, I was so excited to join the YouTube partnership program. I monetized every video I uploaded, which meant YouTube put ads on my videos. If people clicked on the ad, a few cents would be generated. However, I have a very small audience on YouTube. My videos typically don't get that many views. Once in a while, I would upload a video that would get a few thousand views. One or two of my videos even has close to 40,000 views. In YouTube world, that doesn't add up to a lot of money. 

Don't get me wrong. I never did YouTube solely because I thought a paycheck was coming. I love making videos. I even went to college and got a degree in filmmaking. Getting money for posting videos would have just been a bonus. 

You would think I would be upset because being demonetized means not making anymore money for uploading content. The thing is I never made any money for posting videos in the first place. You have to earn a certain amount of money for YouTube with ads. You have to hit a specific threshold amount before YouTube actually pays you. I never hit that threshold. I never got paid.

Since the demonetization will happen next month, I will never be able to hit that threshold in time with how little views my videos get. Also, I will be kicked out of the YouTube partner program for not having at least a thousand subscribers. Right now, I have a little over 300 subscribers. Unless, I magically get 1,000 subscribers by February, my ads and pennies I've earned will go away.

Now this doesn't totally change anything for me. Sure, it was exciting watching the little money I was earning add up but I never saw any of it. What's fun about money is actually having it. In this regard, my YouTube income has always been $0.00. Now it will forever be $0.00. 

The important thing is that regardless of being monetized or not, I will still post YouTube videos. I love creating them and interacting with the viewers I do have. Honestly, I probably won't be posting frequently. However, the videos will still keep coming.

I hope I didn't sound bitter about this whole situation. I'm really more disappointed than anything. I still love YouTube even if their rules have changed once again. I sort of understand this. YouTube wants to focus on their big channels that generate a lot of revenue for them. Us, small YouTubers making a few pennies doesn't really do much for them. I get it.

Thank you for reading this. Thank you for sticking with me. As always if you would like to check out my videos, here is my YouTube channel: Beauty with Michelle.

❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment